Picture of Judy Steidl
Enterprise Use
by Judy Steidl - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:56 AM

I'd like to know more about how to build a Moodle site for enterprise.  There are so many administrative, theme, security, and developer "how to" concepts that I'd like to learn from a Moodle expert offering simple instruction and tutoring.

And I have courses I want to offer globally.

But I don't know best practices and examples of this.

Picture of Randy Thornton
Re: Enterprise Use
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 12:22 PM

Judy

Well, I think that enterprise and global are really two distinct issues. 

Enterprise is mostly an organizational issue related to how to scale the technology: how to do this with 20,000 or 100,00 users and complex third party integrations. The best practices in Moodle for this are not really much different than for other large networked, SQL based applications. An IT shop that can handle Linux and SQL databases can adapt to do this in Moodle. Large site like OU in the UK and any of the larger Moodle Partners are proof this can be done quite well.

Global reach can happen with even the smallest of Moodle sites: it is more an issue of audience and marketing.

Picture of Judy Steidl
Re: Enterprise Use
by Judy Steidl - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 12:47 PM

Right!  I probably need to clarify. 

I'd like to see more of how Moodle platforms are organized on both small and large scales without an IT shop or Moodle Partner.  For instance, how does a small organization plan for growth by setting up a site that is so well-organized that it can grow exponentially.

For instance, a local library might provide a Moodle platform for encouraging literary skills and literature appreciation for at-risk youth. Before you know it, the program grows nationally because of the number of communities who want to provide services for at-risk youth.

So, from the beginning, how does one plan ahead for for entrepreneurial and enterprise use.  What are the considerations in growing wisely?  What are the difficulties that large scale users have found?  What are some of the success stories?

Many times, large scale and complex Moodle-based programs are behind the veil of a great IT team, funding, and proprietary resources.  But I see so many potential uses for Moodle even when those important resources are unavailable. 

So, that conversation would be helpful to me. smile