Picture of Andrea Neville
A question about badges
by Andrea Neville - Friday, 24 May 2013, 9:12 PM

Does every badge trigger an email or is that a badge creator decision?

13 words
Picture of Randy Thornton
Re: A question about badges
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 12:15 AM

That's a great question. It's not clear to me how that works.

When creating a badge, there's a "Message" tab to specify the message text, but no place to say whether or how it is sent out. It should not matter whether it is manually awarded by a role or automatically by completion of something, however.

There's no explicit Messaging output setting for this either. (Probably there should be.)

My guess is it always does the email, but has been tinkered with for this site (?). I got one at the very beginning, but none since then. (Julian will know.)

103 words
Mission Completed
by Don Schwartz - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 5:23 AM

we can ask Julien in his badge session

8 words
Picture of Steven Young
by Steven Young - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 9:33 AM

The only badge I have that I was notified by email was the "iMoot Attendee" badge. The other ones did not come with an email. I had a quick look at the QA  site (http://qa.moodle.net/ ) to make a button and could not see anything about email notifications 

50 words
Picture of Julian Ridden
by Julian Ridden - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:04 AM

It is the creator's decision. Best of all is that you can customise the message per badge as well if you wish.

Julian

24 words
Picture of Judy Steidl
by Judy Steidl - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:24 AM

Julian, the badges have quite an influence on me.  I remember wanting to spell because, at the top of the chart, the teacher had peppermint candies for kids who kept trying to spell well.

Badges in v2.5 will mean that I just can't muster the same enthusiasm for any other version, despite the fact that more options may be available in previous versions.

It has to be 2.5 to get the badges......I know it is crazy.  But it is that peppermint candy thing.  smile

87 words

Picture of Randy Thornton
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 2:37 PM

Julian,

I see where you customize the message (nice variables).

But I don't see where as a creator (admin or teacher) that you control whether it does out via email or not.  Whether you issue a badge manually or link it to activity completion, you just award it and it shows up for the user. Are we missing something?

60 words
Picture of Andrea Neville
by Andrea Neville - Sunday, 26 May 2013, 2:34 AM

The badge options look good - I like the message customization.

Installing 2.5 now to poke around a bit more. Really interested in who can grant badges, can they grant without editing the badge,  and how to trigger (or not trigger) an email. My badges list has 17 and 6 have triggered emails. 

While installing I am listening to Julian in the recording of Open Badges session. Interesting suggestion from the comments to let students assign badges. We have a system in our elementary schools where students  and teachers can draw attention to the good behaviour of others. Allowing them to grant badges (but not necessarily edit or create new) could be an extension of this.

Andrea

117 words
Picture of Mary Cooch
by Mary Cooch - Sunday, 26 May 2013, 3:18 AM

I've been investigating allowing students to grant badges following an alert from Lindy in the tracker this morning - students can award badges if you tweak the permissions (and yet not edit the criteria) although there doesn't currently seem to be a way for them to access the link from the administration block. https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-39830 (Now off to watch the recording of Julian's session to get some badge inspirationsmile)

76 words