Picture of Derek Chirnside
Lost 2 & the new emphasis on plugins
by Derek Chirnside - Friday, 24 May 2013, 9:08 AM

I'm just a bit lost again.  I was looking for a General discussion forum, and then headed for a session to see this:

But I end up here which is billed as a SOCIAL forum.  Where should we talk topics?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be interested to see how people are finding the new approach to plugins.  Building the infrastructure to support plugins in Moodle to be stronger, new and improved plugins directory, service in the approval process that is getting better all the time, and now automatic updates inside Moodle.  cool

Moodle new vesions though remain a problem.  At present, we cannot update to 2.5 at one of the Moodles I support because several plugins in the "Must have" category according to staff are not ready.  I thought I'd chosen well, but then life happens and person X that is maintaining has leave, kids, lack of time, change jobs etc etc.

I'll be interested to see what Joesph has to say here: http://2013.imoot.org/enrol/index.php?id=422

Maybe those who maintain plugins just do it to suit their upgrade schedule.  In this case, we need to do what we can to encourage people to upgrade regularly.  Conservative IT departments (#$%^&) however I do know that you can seriously stuff up an install with a hasty upgrade.

I think all in all with a good hosting arrangement small Moodles are in a better place than they were 2 years ago.

-Derek

247 words