Me at Land's End with iMoot T-Shirt
The next greatest thing Moodle should do next.
by Gareth J Barnard - Thursday, 23 May 2013, 4:55 PM

What is the next greatest thing Moodle should do next?  Thoughts? smile

As a start, here is a summary of a question I posed on Keynote 1 to Mike -> http://2013.imoot.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=615

39 words
Picture of leo gregorc
Re: The next greatest thing Moodle should do next.
by leo gregorc - Thursday, 23 May 2013, 7:30 PM

What about social media integration?  In some instances people may want to syndicate to facebook group, twitter, linked in or foursquare, etc...

it could be a simple checkbox.  Just an idea, particularly in the spirit of being more collaborative and integrative.

I am also up for having a grade view that allows you to download all of a students submissions.  Sort of like and extension on the user report but it would enable you to download each students work as a collection.  Excellent for auditing purposes, and record keeping.  check out my recommendation - tracker ID 

MDL-36264 

thanks for opening up this forum

@mundigoana

104 words
Picture of John Iglar
by John Iglar - Thursday, 23 May 2013, 7:30 PM

What would be GREAT for Moodle - and would open it up to vast areas of the planet where connectivity is not 100% (not just Africa, but also rural America, Australia, etc.) would be to allow offline access. If a student could cache assignments, resources, pages - even whole courses - and do their work while offline and then sync when back online, that would be huge.

Yes, I realize it would also be a huge amount of work... big grin

77 words
Picture of leo gregorc
by leo gregorc - Thursday, 23 May 2013, 8:19 PM

Can we get ratings turned on for this forum please? it would be good to rate these recommendations. I would give your post  .  I have been waiting for a couple of hours where i live for the

satellite traffic to die down so i can participate.  

46 words
Sushil Karampuri
by Sushil Karampuri - Thursday, 23 May 2013, 10:27 PM

Same here!!!

In India, we face the same problem when it comes to rural connectivity ..to say even in urban India. We launched a project - KonnectLive.com working with Telecom companies to deliver content to remote areas. We proposed a project to government costing $1 per child per month for access to K-12 content over wireless private network a year ago... it's still underway.

Hope to see good connectivity in rural parts.

Sushil

75 words
Picture of Derek Chirnside
by Derek Chirnside - Friday, 24 May 2013, 9:14 AM

John, some years back we looked at this for a client (a one off contract when I was working for an educational institution).  The scenario was no internet at all for periods, not even satelite.

We considered a "Moodle on a stick".  The problem with your scenario is that to download a whole course when internet is bad could also be problematical.

However, given you could do something, you would not really need to "Sync back" just upload an assignment, which is not a big deal.  You'd loose all the interaction and toing ad froing.

-Derek

97 words
Picture of Soozie Bea
by Soozie Bea - Monday, 27 May 2013, 7:21 AM

I know that the Moodle App can let you do things while not on the interwebs, and will then update when it can sync again.

So the tech is there!

30 words
Picture of Brett Deaton
by Brett Deaton - Friday, 24 May 2013, 12:18 AM

Bring back the old Add Meta Link screen. The big dropdown to find 1 course in a list of 1000s is insane!

22 words
Jane
by Jane Lally - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 9:24 PM

So true, but a shortcut to finding the course is to start typing the name of the parent course. You have to type fairly fast because if you are typing, say, "Accounting" and you pause after the A, by the time you get to the C it thinks you're looking for a word beginning with C (at least on our site).

62 words
Picture of Randy Thornton
by Randy Thornton - Friday, 24 May 2013, 2:01 AM

Martin mentioned my top two in his keynote 2 already: total event logging for building analytics on, and mobile.

So I'd say a huge area is user centric dashboards that could do  two things:

1) provide a locus for cooperative, group content creation - teacher/teacher, teacher/student, student/student- tools

Tim Hunt mentioned this as a direction for cooperative question bank building by teachers in an OER type fashion.

I worked for a while on Sakai3 (aka OAE) where built in authoring & sharing between researchers was a key component (it doesn't and probably won't ever be working) but the idea is a good one.

2) Provide a place to put site wide course overviews and reporting for both teachers and institutional (ie school) administrators to see things. The course centric reporting architecture is quite limiting now and part of the issue is there is no UI for such things.

153 words
Picture of Derek Chirnside
by Derek Chirnside - Friday, 24 May 2013, 9:27 AM

OK.  I hope this is not taking things at too low a level for you Gareth.

I'd like to see some attention given to basic admin functions for teachers and site admins.

A workflow approach, where we build in some simple solutions to some common admin activities, a few listed here:

1. You want to e-mail someone their password details for a manually created account with one click
  2. You want to clean up the 10 spam accounts from yesterday in one go.
  3. You want to know when someone self enrols in your course.
  4. You want to approve self registrations
  5. You want to attach a file and send to 15 students
  6. You want an e-mail notification for new self registrations.
  7. You want to create X new accounts and have a sentence or two specifically added to their account information.

All these are difficult and/or time consuming and yet are reasonably common *unless you are a big Moodle with authentication systems.  Many have plugins.  Many have several plugins.  I'm sure a small amount of work could get these functions and a few more into core.

Open up a little discussion on Moodle.org, come up with our lists and do it.

In time for a possible LTR in 1.6 mabe?

-Derek

214 words
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 12:29 AM

Those are good ideas, Derek.

We need way to automate repeated admin tasks.

I'd add the ability to dynamically push out default course and user profiles updates to selected any/all existing courses and users. That's a serious limitation now.

42 words
by Gareth J Barnard - Sunday, 26 May 2013, 5:14 AM

Dear Derek,

Not at too low level for me. But I was thinking 'big' bold long term aspirational unique selling point rather than small improvements. Not to say that they are worth while. Are there trackers for them?

Regarding "I'm sure a small amount of work could get these functions and a few more into core." - because of the rigor of core quality, things can take time. Look at how long it took to get the jump to menu back and that was code reuse. I currently have a tracker improvement started in Jan to display the due date inline for assignments and it's still waiting to be integrated. To be honest you can never really tell how much time is required for a code project until you've done 40% of the work because everything is 'new' and bespoke. And as they say 'time is money' so I'm sure with funding like possibly crowd funding or asking a Moodle partner things would get done or asking Moodle HQ to add it as a part of their budget.

I'm sorry if this seems negative as all of your points are positive.

Cheers,

Gareth
197 words
by Gareth J Barnard - Sunday, 26 May 2013, 6:25 PM

But!.... I will take the list and post it on the developers forum for discussion smile
15 words
Mary M Rydesky - Anchorage, AK
by Mary Rydesky - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 2:56 AM

ANYTHING that provides aggregate actions.  Like the control of email accounts (finding and eliminating spam accounts). It was great when he made uploading groups of files easier, was it not? Lets see what other efficiencies can be created.

I am especially interested in reports.  Would like Moodlers to see what the competition has in the way of auto reports and provide the same outputs BETTER. For example, I often need a list of who in a department or unit has completed compliance training, along with the expiration dates/due dates of those who are in need of a certain training.  It would be great to send a set of participants reminder notes that their compliance training update is (or was!) due by a certain date.

More development of these components would make Moodle more competitive in the adult learning and workplace training sectors -- with great implications for ALL teachers and trainers regardless of student and course level.

157 words
Picture of Lynn Harvey
by Lynn Harvey - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 10:11 AM

Anything that saves teachers time.

A fully functional plugin that allows you to select what courses should report to you (online not by email) that there is submitted work/assignments to mark. 

A better designed gradebook or one that is more customisable.

42 words
Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
by Nadav Kavalerchik - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 3:17 PM
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 3:14 PM

One word: undo.

3 words
Picture of EDC Team
by EDC Team - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 3:45 PM

Yeah undo would be great!

5 words
Teresa
by Teresa Gibbison - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 4:15 PM

You mean "undo deleting that thing because I didn't mean to click 'OK"???
14 words
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 4:57 PM

Exaclty. I mean never again having to hear "Teresa, HELP! I deleted my entire quiz I spent 8 hours on and can you get it back for me in time for class in 10 minutes! Puleeeeze. Argh!"

Even a limited implementation of undo for activity module deletions would be very valuable. Course deletions would be useful too.

Not to say this is just a normal user / teacher issue. I've never met an admin of any kind who doesn't have a "I can't believe I deleted that" horror story.

91 words
by Gareth J Barnard - Sunday, 26 May 2013, 5:02 AM

I think that Undo would be great for the Flex Sections format... https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_flexsections
20 words
Picture of EDC Team
by EDC Team - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 3:47 PM

Fix those WIKI'S They are so unloved (and broken in several conditions)

Bring back the initial first page html file please

22 words
Picture of Richard Oelmann
by Richard Oelmann - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 5:16 PM

Your theme can have a separate front page layout file - the fact that its php driven doesn't stop you adding html to it smile

24 words
Picture of John Iglar
by John Iglar - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 8:56 PM

Please:

Simultaneous wiki page edits. This is a big roadblock for our f2f/blended teachers using the wiki activity. (I know it's not easy, but if mediawiki can, why not moodle?)

32 words