Mission Completed
more iMoots
by Don Schwartz - Thursday, 23 May 2013, 8:34 AM

I would love to see iMoots, perhaps one day, quarterly and each each in a different timezone.  The lack of sleep is gonna kill me.

25 words
Teresa
Re: more iMoots
by Teresa Gibbison - Thursday, 23 May 2013, 9:17 AM

This is the start of a very similar conversation some of us had last year - nothing came of it. I think it's important not to take away from the existing local Moots.

I think the iMoot is great. If we can get the timetable with repeated sessions (even if they are recorded with a concurrent discussion) it would mean if a session was the middle of the night in your time zone you can watch it at a 'normal for your zone' scheduled time with a discussion among others in your time zone - not sure if that makes sense!
100 words
Picture of Ed Hatch
by Ed Hatch - Friday, 24 May 2013, 1:10 AM

I also agree that local Moots are important, but I am not sure an iMoot would adversely affect our local or regional Moots. I would "attend" both and many school budgets in our region have very limited travel funds. I am enjoying this format and would love to have more opportunities like this.

53 words
Picture of Julian Ridden
by Julian Ridden - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:19 AM

Moodle Moots happen all around the world. These days there is nearly one every week happening somewhere around the globe. At each of these events local passionate educators get together and share their knowledge. Sadly however that is typically as far as the content gets.

iMoot was envisaged as a place that users could present the same sessions that did at the local Moot to a global audience. In this way iMoot was designed to augment the local Moots, not detract from them. We also wanted to unite attendees from these local events with like minded educational/development professionals from around the world. In short......community build.

The challenge has been to convince these local experts that their knowledge is worth spreading on the international stage. Each brings cultural and pedagogical differences that offer widely diverse points of view.This is also why we let presenters in, not for a discount, but for free. We want to encourage more educators to share their passion and knowledge with like minded peers.Thought it might be useful to give the back story of where iMoot came from.

At this point I would not foresee a formal iMoot at more than once a year. I honestly believe that is enough and gives time to gather these fantastic presenters together from the year's worth of local moots. But, that being said, we go where the interest lies. Nothing is locked away.

Thanks for coming to iMoot and being part of the event. Keep the discussion going and let's see what ideas you generate!

Julian

262 words
Anthony Borrow, S.J.
by Anthony Borrow - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:59 AM

Teresa - As a presenter, I must say that I have greatly preferred being able to repeat a presentation for a different timezone. The first year, they used the recording from the first and then allowed questions; however, I have liked being able to respond to questions and comments during the presentation and also being able to tweak the presentation. I greatly enjoy the international flavor of the iMoot and am grateful to Julian for all he does to make this a tremendous success. Peace - Anthony 

85 words
Picture of Karrie Anne Vitti
by Karrie Anne Vitti - Friday, 24 May 2013, 1:19 AM

Please come to the session that Natalie and I are hosting Session B-15 Moodle4Educators: Connecting You To Other Moodlers

We tried to get something going last year and have finally got it figured out.  

35 words
Mary M Rydesky - Anchorage, AK
by Mary Rydesky - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 5:55 AM

Coffee and an alarm clock - your bet friends!

8 words
Picture of Randy Thornton
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 7:28 AM

Perhaps twice yearly, soon after each new release.

8 words
Picture of Steven Young
by Steven Young - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 9:36 AM

Agree with Randy, an imoot after each new release makes good sense

12 words
Picture of Judy Steidl
by Judy Steidl - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:27 AM

iMoots after each release sounds great to me and also gives the community a chance to thank developers for their hard work.  I like the sense of community that gives to Moodle.  The iMoot format is definitely a favorite for me, rather than a local one.

46 words
Picture of Randy Thornton
by Randy Thornton - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 12:00 PM

Another advantage of twice yearly after each release is that it would give us a chance to give feedback at the beginning of the development cycle for the next release.

For instance, it's obvious Badges and Bootstrap are a big hit this week. Hopefully iMoot attendee feedback will translate into clearer prioritizing of the future feature sets for them.

Since a lot of Moodle sites lag behind in upgrading, such early feedback on a new release should be even more valuable in planning the next development cycle.

88 words
Picture of Gordon McLeod
by Gordon McLeod - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 9:04 PM

I'd certainly agree a shorter iMoot following the release cycle would be great - being able to play with badges as a presenter and participant means that when my institution moves to 2.5 I'll already have a good idea of how I'll implement them. Same will apply with other new developments. Also much easier to catch a 2 day event rather than 4 days. I'll be dipping into this year's sessions for the next few months!
81 words
Picture of Charlotte Lewis
by Charlotte Lewis - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 9:19 AM

Maybe it would be better to have Moot camp. Maybe a one day event. I've been to Helena, MT (USA) - Mountain Moodle Moot and it was fantastic. Would like more like this as well.

35 words
Anthony Borrow, S.J.
by Anthony Borrow - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:38 AM

I'm looking forward to going to the Mountain Moodle Moot this year! It will be my first time to Montana. Also, here is a picture of the parish where I serve as Associate Pastor in Albuquerque, NM. Immaculate Conception ChurchPeace - Anthony 

40 words
Kelly Becker
by Kelly Becker - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 11:50 AM

side note:  i am a displaced burqueno in the Pacific NW.  seeing this parish takes me home again....bless you. 

Kelly

21 words
Picture of Charlotte Lewis
by Charlotte Lewis - Monday, 27 May 2013, 5:59 AM

Hi Anthony,  I've been to the Mountain Moodle Moot.  It is great, beautiful, and a whole lot of fun.  I've learned a lot at that Moot. It is a great venue.  Hope to see you there.

38 words
Picture of Lora Bance
by Lora Bance - Saturday, 25 May 2013, 10:07 AM

The recordings are valuable for me. School teacher trying to write reports....not happening. iMoot is winning.

17 words